Newsletter – n°48 – March 2017
Call for interest for drafting a study on local and regional governments within the EU-ACP cooperation agreement
PLATFORMA is launching a call for interest for drafting a research on local and regional governments within the Cotonou Partnership Agreement. The resulting publication will enable local and regional governments and their association to be heard and come up with strong recommendation for the negotiations on the Post-Cotonou.
News from the Secretariat
The key role local and regional governments play in addressing the root causes of migration and in ensuring good conditions in the reception of migrants was recognised by a wide representation of local and regional governments from the Southern and Northern rive of the Mediterranean on 22-23 February in Malta, in the frame of the 8th Plenary session of the Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly (ARLEM).
On 6th February PLATFORMA brought the voice of local and regional governments to the European Parliament. VNGi Executive Director Peter Knip spoke on behalf of PLATFORMA to the Committee on Development (DEVE) during a debate on the revision of EU financial rules. He informed MEPs about PLATFORMA’s survey on Financial rules and Interaction with EU Delegations in partner countries.
News from partners
On 24 March, on the occasion of the 60th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome, AICCRE is organising a conference on the future of Europe. The two sessions gathering a huge number of EU and local high level representatives are entitled “A new pact between local authorities and the European Union for the revival of democracy and development” and "Building the Europe of citizens and not that of populism: proposals and concerns from European local authorities".
On the 4th and 5th of November 2016, about 300 representatives of local authorities, ministries, prefects, donors and civil society met in Cotonou for the 2nd Assises of Benin-French decentralized cooperation.
On the 7th and 8th February, the French Association of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (AFCCRE) was hosted by CEMR and PLATFORMA in Brussels to organize its first training session on European financing and external cooperation for local governments.
Initiative worth following
“My JMDI Toolbox” (Joint Migration and Development Initiative) offers a flexible and comprehensive tool for local stakeholders (local authorities, civil society, migrants’ associations, academia, international organizations etc.) on how to mainstream migration into local development planning in order to be able to better harness the development potential of migration.
In other news
The new UCLG memory card game was designed to inspire local action while familiarizing participants with the 17 goals. All images present local solutions to global challenges that guarantee the stimulation of knowledge sharing and learning.
- 22-23 March (Brussels, Belgium): EU Policy Forum on Development
- 24 March (Rome, Italy): AICCRE - Debate of the 60th Anniversary of the Treaty of Rome
- 23-24 March (Paris, France): CUF training: "Climate and decentralized cooperation: communicating to convince, mobilize and animate"
- 29-30 March (Nancy, France): AFCCRE training session on European financing and external cooperation for local governments
- 5 April (Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy): AICRRE - Climate change and decentralised cooperation: the Italian case
- 25-26 April (Brussels, Belgium): PLATFORMA Steering Committee & Political Council
- 7-8 June (Brussels, Belgium): European Development Days 2017
- 10-11 July (Brussels, Belgium): 5th Assises of Decentralised Cooperation
- 15-29 November (dates tbc): European Days of Local Solidarity 2017 (EDLS)