COP28 | Territorial leaders call for more action to fight climate change!
PLATFORMA and the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) call on the UN, the EU and the national governments negotiating the COP28 climate agreement to consider 7 key points:
1. Real governance structured around resource allocation, accountability mechanisms, consultation and structured dialogue involving local and regional governments in international climate negotiations is needed
2. Nature and the earth’s climate are linked and contribute to adaptations to climate change
3. Local and regional public services are best placed to respond efficiently and timely to local needs and are key in attaining climate mitigation objectives
4. Fighting social inequalities and increasing community-participatory processes places everyone on a more level playing field
5. The integration of territorial leaders needs to be unambiguous with respect to the planning of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) and national multilevel governance on climate
6. Multilevel cooperation, capacity building, technology transfer and partnerships need to be reinforced throughout the process to combat climate change
7. Localising the Sustainable Development Goals is a key factor in achieving climate objectives
Read the full document.