Response to the EC consultation on the post-MDGs framework
PLATFORMA participated in the consultation organised by the European Commission on the future international development framework that will replace the Millenium Development Goals (MDG), underling some fundamental principles :
– the future framework have to fully integrate the principles of the Busan Partnership for an effective cooperation ;
– the critical role of local governments in the pursuit of MDGs ;
– the need of introducing objectives aiming at an institutional development ;
– the need to include the reinforcement of the democratic local governance as an underlying principle to all future objectives ;
– the importance of increasing efforts on the poorest and most fragile countries.
Appended to the network’s position, you will find a concrete example of actions undertaken by local governments, based on the experience of the city of Paris, in pursuing the Millenium Development Goals.
The Commission organised this consultation so as to inform the EU position in view of upcoming international discussions. The United Nation kick-started the reflection process with the establishment of a High Level Panel, attended by EU Commissioner for development Andris Piebalgs, in charge of issuing recommendations to the Secretary General. Head of States and Governments will begin discussions on this matter at the next General Assembly, in September 2013.