Nine local and regional elected officials will represent PLATFORMA at UN SDG & Climate Summits
A PLATFORMA-CEMR joint delegation of local and regional elected officials is attending the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York next week, where the Climate and SDG Summits are taking place.
In New York, the PLATFORMA-CEMR delegation will recall the messages shared by local and regional elected representatives at the July High Level Political Forum (HLPF): when they met UN Secretary General António Guterres, they called for accelerated action to localise the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The September HLPF will assess progress achieved so far since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda in September 2015 and provide leadership and guidance on the way forward that would help accelerate implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs.
This time, the PLATFORMA-CEMR delegation is attending several conferences and sessions around the Climate Action Summit (23 September) and the SDG Summit (24-25 September), including the 2nd Local and Regional Governments’ Forum (co-organised by the Global Taskforce) on the 24th.
The same day, the mayors and regions’ elected officials are meeting representatives of the European Commission from DG CLIMA and DEVCO, a delegation of 10 MEPs from the Committees on Development (DEVE) and on the Environment, Public Health and Food Security (ENVI) (see below) and the Committee of the Regions First Vice-President Markku Markkula.
The PLATFORMA-CEMR delegation comes from Finland, France, Germany, Spain and Sweden. It is composed by:
- Minna Arve, Mayor of Turku (Finland)
- Laia Bonet, Deputy Mayor of Barcelona (Spain), responsible for the 2030 Agenda, Digital Transition and Territorial and Metropolitan Coordination
- Anthony Daguet, First Deputy Mayor City of Aubervilliers (France), representing PLATFORMA and member of Cités Unies de France
- Juan Espadas, Mayor of Seville (Spain), CEMR Spokesperson on climate
- Anders Knape, Councillor of Karlstad Municipality (Sweden), President of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), 1st Vice President of CEMR, partner of PLATFORMA, President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- Peter Kurz, Mayor of Mannheim (Germany), RGRE, representing PLATFORMA
- Carlos Martinez Minguez, Mayor of Soria (Spain), UCLG Vice President
- Ashok Sridharan, Mayor of Bonn (Germany), President of ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability and also representing PLATFORMA
- Andre Viola, President of Aude Department (France)
The European Parliament delegation is composed by:
The Co-chairs Mairead McGuinness (Ireland, EPP), 1st Vice-President of the European Parliament, Tomas Tobé (Sweden, EPP), Chair of the Committee on Development (DEVE).
Members of Committee on Development: Hildegard Bentele (Germany, EPP), Udo Bullmann (Germany, S&D, Coordinator in DEVE), Catherine Chabaud (France, RE) and Marc Tarabella (Belgium, S&D).
Members of Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Security (ENVI): Cristian-Silviu Busoi (Romania, EPP), Miriam Dalli (Malta, S&D), Eleonora Evi (Italy, NI), Pietro Fiocchi (Italy, ECR), Teuvo Hakkarainen (Finland, ID), Petros Kokkalis (Greece, GUE/NGL), Javi López (Spain, S&D), Aileen McLeod (UK, Greens/EFA) and María Soraya Rodríguez Ramos (Spain, RE).
Follow on Twitter: