Check where PLATFORMA and its partners are actively participating at UCLG Congress
From 11 to 15 November, Marlène Siméon, director of PLATFORMA, is taking part at UCLG Congress, together with several local elected officials and technical representatives of our network.
The World Summit of Local and Regional Leaders, convened by United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), is the largest gathering of mayors, presidents of associations, councillors, and local and regional practitioners from around the world. It also gathers the most influential local and regional leaders, partners, and actors implicated in the decision making of city and community life.
Four key events
13 November, 11.30-13.00
Assembly Track | Aligning Local Priorities with the 2030 Agenda, and the Right to the City: “Lightning rounds: European actions on the SDGs” led by Europe
Marlène Siméon is facilitating this session which will be an opportunity to discover the different ways in which European municipalities and regions are implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This interactive session will feature a wide-ranging discussion covering numerous topics, including European environmental legislation, gender equality, European neighbourhood policy, international development policy, as well as Europe’s contribution to the global SDG agenda.
Europe and SDGs
- Fernando Medina, Mayor of Lisbon
European local government associations and SDGs
- Angelika Poth-Mögel, Executive Director of European Affairs of CEMR
- Jan van Zanen, Mayor of Utrecht, President of Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG)
Setting an agenda towards gender equality
- Jocelyne Bougeard, Deputy Mayor of Rennes
- Anders Knape, Lord Mayor of Karlstad, Executive President of CEMR
A Europe open to its neighbourhood
- Mindaugas Sinkevicius, Mayor of Jonava, President of Association of Local Authorities in Lithuania (ALAL)
- Núria Marín Martinez, Mayor of L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, President of Barcelona Provincial Council
The European Development Policy
- Carla Montesi, DG DEVCO, European Commission
- Jean-Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLG Africa
European priorities and Global Agenda
- Carlos Martinez Mínguez, Mayor of Soria, Vice-President of UCLG
- Gunn Marit Helgesen, Councillor of Telemark, President of Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities (KS)
Wrap-up by Frédéric Vallier, Secretary General of CEMR
13 November, 9.00-10.30
LAB session | SDGs and Decentralised Cooperation: Working on Agenda2030 Locally & Globally
Co-organised by the CIB Working Group, PLATFORMA and the Region of Catalonia
Jessie Post, VNG International and CIB Secretariat, is moderating a LAB session which will present the project jointly undertaken by UCLG, CIB, PLATFORMA and the Region of Catalonia to develop the capacity of decentralised cooperation actors vis-à-vis SDG mainstreaming in development cooperation plans and programmes.
- Marlène Simeon, Director of PLATFORMA
- Javier Sanchez Cano, Head of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of Region of Catalonia
- Rob Metz, Mayor of Soest
- Wim Dries, Mayor of Genk
- Verónica Magario, Mayor of La Matanza
- Berry Vrbanovic, Mayor of Kitchener, Treasurer of UCLG
- Luis Revilla, Mayor of La Paz, President of Mercociudades
- Hubert Julien-Lafferière, President of the French Partnership for Cities and Territories Mayor of Pocona (TBC)
15 November, 09.00-10.30
Fora | Local Government Associations 2.0 – ready for the future
Co-organised by VVSG, VNG and FCM
Frédéric Vallier, Secretary General of CEMR, is moderating this Fora aimed at addressing the strengthening of Local Government Associations through exchange of practices, in view of future challenges.
Among the panellists are:
- Jantine Kriens, CEO of Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG)
- Carla Rey, Secretary General of Italian Association of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (AICCRE)
- Jan van Zanen, President of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG)
- Wim Dries, President of Association of Flemish Cities and Municipalities (VVSG)
15 November, 15.00-17.30
LAB | Regional Strategies Toward the SDGs
Co-organised by the Region of Catalonia, Region of KwaZuluNatal, UNDP-ART, Barcelona Institute of International Studies (IBEI), University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
Moderated by Javier Sanchez Cano, DG Development Cooperation of Region of Catalonia, this lab debate will consist in an analysis of the way regions are organising themselves to deliver the SDGs, and their competitive advantages on some aspects of policy planning, stakeholder coordination and involvement, and multilevel dialogue.
Among the speakers are Johannes Krassnitzer, Coordinator of UNDP-ART (United Nations Development Programme) and Alfred Bosch, Minister of External Affairs of Region of Catalonia.
Don’t miss as well
12 November, 9.00-18.00
The Fourth UCLG Learning Forum
Marlène Siméon, Javier Sanchez Cano, Region of Catalonia, Jerker Stattin, SALAR/ICLD, Jessie Post, VNG International/UCLG-CIB, and Bert Janssens, VVSG/UCLG-CIB, will participate to the Fourth UCLG Learning Forum, a full day of learning interaction opportunities, providing an assessment of the state of learning within the network and an inspiration of the key elements of UCLG Learning Strategy 2019-2021.
12 November, 9.30-10.00
Cities Panel | UCLG Gender Strategy in Practice: How to Advance Gender Equality at the Local Level
Co-organised by the Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG)
12 November, 12.30-13.30
Cities Panel | The Role of Agenda 2030 in Creating Citizenship: How can Local Governments use the SDGs to connect with their citizens?
Co-organised by the Italian Association of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (AICCRE)
This Cities Panel is a follow-up of the Venice City Solutions conference co-organised with PLATFORMA from 24 to 26 October.
12 November, 12:30-14:00
Special Session |The Future of Equality: Beyond Beijing+25
13 November, 14.30-16.00
Global Conversation | Launch of the European Commission City Partnerships
Organised by the European Commission, Frédéric Vallier, Secretary General of CEMR, will take the floor.
13 November, 16.00-17.30
Global Conversation | Women’s Economic Autonomy and Empowerment Through Economic and Social Development
With the participation of FAMSI.
14 November, 9.30-10.30
Cities Panel | Cities Facing Crises
Co-organised by UCLG Working Group on Territorial Prevention and Management of Crises
The UCLG Working Group will discuss its work and strategy in the framework of the growing demand by local authorities to be supported in crises and post-crises management. This Cities Panel is moderated by Geneviève Sevrin, Director General of United Cities France (CUF).
Among the participants are:
- Roland Ries, Mayor of Strasbourg, President of United Cities France (CUF) and co-President of UCLG
- Rob Metz, Mayor of Soest
14 November, 16.30-18.00
Global Conversation | The Future of Work: Local Governments Facing the Challenges of Globalization
With the participation of FAMSI.
For more information
Check on twitter #UCLGCongress
Check the CIB participation at UCLG Congress