Local governments are organising their forum during the Africa-Europe Week
[updated on 16/02/2022 with names of speakers and link to final Declaration]
PLATFORMA, together with its partners and the four other international networks which are strategic partners of the European Commission (AIMF, CLGF, UCLG and UCLG-Africa), are organising an online local forum on Tuesday 15 February, during the Africa-Europe Week 2022. They are also taking part at the “Meet the leaders” sessions the next day.
From 14 to 18 February 2022, stakeholders from Africa and Europe will come together to strengthen the partnerships between the two continents through a series of policy events and cultural performances in the margins of the 6th European Union – African Union summit to take place in Brussels (17 and 18 February).
15 February: Local governments forum (9.15-18.00)
The local governments forum (15 February) will be a key moment to bring together mayors from Africa and Europe to discuss the aspects of the Africa-EU Partnership. This forum is organised in parallel with the Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) local forum: the programme includes joint opening and closing sessions of both forums.
A local government political declaration will come out of this local forum and the message will be convened to the EU-AU Summit.
Following the joint opening CSOs / Local authorities (9.00-9.45) with Commissioner for International Partnerships Jutta Urpilainen, Ronan Dantec, Senator of Loire-Atlantique (France), CEMR & AFCCRE spokesperson on climate, and Marie Christine Ndutume Mba, Mayor of Libreville (Gabon) and President of UCLG-Africa (represented by Annie Christelle Limbourg, Deputy Mayor) the forum will be organised around two sessions:
10.00-12.00 CET – People, prosperity, partnership – Delivering on the
AU-EU partnership: local govenments’ role
- Marie Christine Ndutume Mba, Mayor of Libreville (Gabon) and President of UCLG-Africa, represented by Annie Christelle Limbourg, Vice Mayor
- Pr Peter Anyang Nyong’o, Governor of Kisumu County (Kenya)
- Reverend Mpho Moruakgomo, Chairperson, CLGF
- Joseph Bindi, Bo District Chairperson (Sierra Leone), President of LOCASL
- Marie-Pierre Bresson, Deputy Mayor of Lille (France), 3rd laureate of the PLATFORMAwards in 2020, represented by Cécile Gillot, cooperation officer
- Carola Gunnarson, Lord Mayor of Sala (Sweden), CEMR spokesperson for international affairs and UCLG Vice-President for Europe
Moderated by Claire Frost, Programme Manager, CLGF
13.30-15.00 CET – Planet – How the urban environment challenges are considered in the green transition and recovery?
- Fatimetou Abdel Malick, President of the Nouakchott Region (Mauritania)
- Pr Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o, Gouvernor of Kisumu (Kenya), SALGA
- Augustin Tamba, Mayor of Yaoundé (Cameroon), President of CVUC
- Stefano Bonaccini, CEMR President and President of Emilia-Romagna Region
- Valérie Dumontet, vice-President of Aude department, President of the SDG group at Cités Unies France
- Ronan Dantec, Senator of Loire-Atlantique (France), CEMR & AFCCRE spokesperson on climate
- Vaida Aleknaviciene, Deputy Mayor of Joniškis District Municipality (Lithuania), spokesperson of PLATFORMA, alternate member of the CoR
- José Manuel Ribeiro, Mayor of Valongo (Portugal), PLATFORMA & UCLG spokesperson
Moderated by Marlène Siméon, director of operations at CEMR and director of PLATFORMA, and Jean-Pierre Elong Mbassi, UCLG Africa Secretary General
Fatimetou Abdel Malick, President of the Nouakchott Region (Mauritania), and Carola Gunnarson, Lord Mayor of Sala (Sweden), CEMR spokesperson for international affairs and UCLG Vice-President for Europe, will take part to the closing session (16.30-18.00) with Chiara Adamo, head of unit on Human rights, equality and democracy at DG INTPA.
16 February: Meet the leaders
The next day, European and African local leaders will also take part to the “Meet the leaders” sessions.
13:00-14:05: Session 1 – “Accelerating human development: education, skills, health, peace and security, governance, culture.”
Among the speakers are:
Jutta Urpilainen, European Commissioner for International Partnerships
Africa: Pr Peter Anyang’ Nyongo’, Governor of Kisumu County (Kenya) and host of Africities Summit 2022
Europe: José Manuel Ribeiro, Mayor of Valongo (Portugal), PLATFORMA & UCLG spokesperson
14:20-15:50: Session 2 – “Accelerating sustainable growth and decent jobs, green and digital transition.”
Among the speakers are:
Africa: Fatimetou Abdel Malik, President of Nouakchott region
Europe: Carola Gunnarson, Lord Mayor of Sala (Sweden), 1st Vice President of the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), CEMR spokesperson for international affairs and UCLG Vice-President for Europe
According to the European Commission, the stakeholders-led approach that will characterise the Africa-Europe Week signals the beginning of more people-centred Africa-Europe relations, bringing tangible and concrete benefits to citizens.
The Africa-Europe partnership was first established in 2000 during the Africa-EU Summit in Cairo, Egypt. Since then, the two continents have engaged in several political dialogues and initiatives to bring forward a shared vision on a number of topics.
- Check the programme
- Visit the European Commission dedicated website
- Watch the teaser video
- Follow the conversation on Twitter with #AfricaEU, #LocalAfrica & #AUEULocal
- Read the final Declaration