CALM is an apolitical organization and was registered as a non-commercial association on 10 May 2010. Its purpose is to represent all local authorities of Moldova. CALM is constituted by territorial administrative units organized under the law as towns and villages and by their professional associations. This level of membership provides both capacity and political consolidation.
CALM is a major partner in the negotiations on decentralisation, providing effective support to local authorities and full participation in the network of local governments in Europe. The challenges faced are shared and can be better addressed by local authorities through a joint effort in which the common interest is the ulterior motivation. Cooperation can intervene before conflict. In this respect, unity in action of CALM provides all local authorities and their associations a unique opportunity to protect their legitimate rights and interests, and as a source of support based on their needs and priorities.
CALM was established to reflect the commitment of all local authorities to follow the spirit and principles of partnership and good governance as stipulated in the European Charter of Local Self-Government, and to show that local democracy and community interests can be brought by consensus based on mutual respect.
- UNDP Moldova selects partner communities and Hometown Associations to contribute to local development // Press ReleasesRepublic of Moldova creates a new model for migrants’ participation in the economic development of hometown communities 26 March 2019... Read more »
- Kudos for the NALAS Knowledge Management Team! // Press ReleasesThe annual NALAS Knowledge Management Meeting took place from 13 to 15 February 2019, in Belgrade, Serbia, bringing together NALAS... Read more »
- 2018 NALAS’ Fiscal Decentralisation Report: Local services are exacerbated by the deterioration of local finance arrangements // Press ReleasesThis is the seventh edition of the Report which is an ongoing effort of NALAS’ Fiscal Decentralisation Task Force to... Read more »
- Anders KNAPE elected president of the Congress // Press ReleasesMeeting at their 35th session in Strasbourg (France), Congress members have elected Anders KNAPE (Sweden, EPP/CCE) president of the Congress... Read more »
- EU law-making: European Commission proposes to strengthen role of regions and cities // Press ReleasesEC report takes on board Subsidiarity Task Force recommendations The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) has welcomed the European... Read more »
- FEATURE The mayor // How Tatiana Badan attempts to arrest the decline of the Moldovan village Selemet. // Press ReleasesSelemet is a village in the Republic of Moldova: abandoned, tumbledown, forgotten – like so many. A quarter of the... Read more »
- MEPs have made it clear: cities have a crucial role to play in EU policy-making // Press ReleasesThis is a great victory for local government and their associations. Today, members of the European Parliament voted in favour... Read more »Powered by: RSS Feed News Blocks