DG ECHO will soon publish a communication on a new approach to forced displacement which better integrates humanitarian and development strategies.
In reaction to a non-paper by DG ECHO on this issue, PLATFORMA highlighted that:
- The engagement of local governments (LGs) throughout the project cycle is essential
- Support to decentralisation is a precondition for stronger communication with LGs
- The potential of decentralised cooperation should be recognised
- Integrating development actors to address forced displacement is a welcomed approach
- Local government-led service delivery benefits host communities and displaced people