Our Handbook to Quito and Bogotá
UCLG WORLD SUMMIT OF LOCAL AND REGIONAL LEADERS, BOGOTÁ
Where? venue S6
Who? Co-organised by VNGi & PLATFORMA, with the participation of Peter Knip (Director of VNGi)
What? The objective of the CONNECT Mechanism is to facilitate effective transfer of specific local and regional government know-how, in particular via brokering, which will allow local and regional governments in partner countries (the demand side) to find available expertise in European countries and beyond (the supply side), in order to contribute to capacity development.
Where? venue S4
Who? Organised by PLATFORMA, moderated by Íñigo de la Serna (Mayor of Santander, Acting President of CEMR)
What? 10 students from Universidad del Rosario engage in a simulated council debate on an international partnership between the fictitious city of Plato de Forma and the equally fictitious city of Escuerra. Four fictional political groups practice their arguments on each other – and on the participants of the Congress. The workshop is based on the Model UN, adapted to fit the reality of a local political council. Debates will be lively and you can participate by sharing your experience and give advice to these future decision makers.
- 13 October, 18:00-19:30, S3: UCLG City of Bogotá Peace Prize Finals, organised by UCLG, VNG & DIBA, moderated by Ton Rombouts, Vice-Chair of the UCLG Commission on Development Cooperation and City Diplomacy, Mayor of ‘s Hertogenbosch (VNG)
- 14 October, 9.00-10.30, S1: Policy Dialogue: building the spirit of solidarity. Among the speakers are Luc Martens (president of VVSG), Carlos Martínez (Mayor of Soria, Board member of FEMP, Vice president of CEMR) or Isaac Ashai Odamtten (Mayor of Tema, President National Association of Local Authorities of Ghana)
- 14 October, 14.00-15.30, Grand Salon: Second World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments
- 12 October, 14.00-17.00, University of Rosario: Seminar to promote decentralised cooperation between France and Colombia, Co-organised by Cités Unies France, in parallel to the Conference program
UN CONFERENCE HABITAT III, QUITO
Where? venue Agora
Who? With elected representatives of local and regional governments from all around the world, including Patrick Klugman (Deputy Mayor of Paris & PLATFORMA spokesperson), Jan van Zanen (Mayor of Utrecht, Netherlands, VNG), Merce Conesa (President of the Provincial Government of Barcelona, DIBA), Josep Rull (Minister of Territory and Sustainability of Catalonia), Annemarie Penn-te Strake (Mayor of Maastricht, VNG), Juan Espada (Mayor of Sevilla, FEMP), Íñigo de la Serna (Mayor of Santander, CEMR), Andreas Wolter (Deputy Mayor of Cologne, RGRE) or Parks Tau (councillor of Johannesburg , Chair of SALGA).
What? The third and final session of the 2nd World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments will take place in the framework of Habitat III.
- Capacity of local and regional governments to implement the new Urban Agenda – decentralisation, local autonomy and municipal finances
Who? Organised by PLATFORMA & CEMR. Among the speakers are Annemarie Penn-te Stake (Mayor of Maastricht, VNG), Ilmar Reepalu (Councilor of Malmö, CEMR spokesperson on cohesion policies), Diana Lopez (UN Habitat, URAIA initiative), Frédéric Vallier (Secretary general of CEMR), Patrizio Fiorilli (Director of PLATFORMA).
What? This session will address Challenges around sustainable local public finances, Fiscal decentralisation, the Implementation of the NUA and SDGs and the contribution of international cooperation to good governance and local finances.
- The Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa: a practical energy related instrument to foster low carbon resilient and inclusive local development
Who? Organised by the Covenant of Mayors for Sub-Saharan Africa, PLATFORMA & CEMR. Among the speakers are a representative from the European Commission DG DEVCO, Eva Baños de Guisasola (Policy Adviser at CEMR), Atwine Moses Kanuniira (Kampala Capital City Authority, Uganda), Khady Dia Sarr (Dakar Municipal Finance Program, Senegal), Patrizio Fiorilli (Director of PLATFORMA)
- 17 October, 8.00-9.00, R2: Local governments as promoters of urban transparency in Latin-America (organised by FEMP)
- 17 October, 12.30-13.30, R12: Exploring Challenges, Partnerships and Approaches to Reducing Inequalities and Ensuring Inclusive Economic Growth in Cities (organised by CLGF, Cities Alliance)
- 17 October, 16.30-18.30, R4: “The Urban Leaders We Need” – Putting people at the centre through co-production (organised by SKL/SALAR)
• 18 October, 9.30-10.30 R2: Good Governance for Healthy, Nutritious, and Sustainable Urban Food Systems (organised by the City of Milano, The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition)
• 18 October, 14.00-16.00, R4: The Urban Agenda for the European Union and the Urban dimension of EU Policy (organised by the European Commission DG Regio, with the participation of Jan van Zanen, Mayor of Utrecht, Netherlands, VNG)
• 18 October, 14.00-16.00, R2: International Urban Cooperation: Sustainable Cities (organised by the European Commission DG Regio, the International Development Bank)
• 18 October, 15.00-18.00: Policy Dialogue – National Urban Policies: Urban Governance, Capacity and Institutional Development (organised by UCLG & London School of Economic, with the participation of Ilmar Reepalu (Councilor of Malmö, CEMR spokesperson on cohesion policies)