What’s in the pipeline for the next 3 months?
Last months were very busy for PLATFORMA and its partners and the next 3 ones won’t be restful at all. Discover our upcoming activities.
Our network has been very active in the last months on decentralised cooperation, gender equality, climate change, the Sustainable Development Goals, local economic development, water and sanitation, awareness raising and many other topics, with many EU peers in partner countries and through trainings, workshops, peer learning or conferences.
We also closely followed and participated in activities organised by external partners such as MobiliseYourCity, the Covenant of Mayors for Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA), Climate Chance, the OECD and its Development Assistance Committee (DAC), the Festisol in France, the European Commission Policy Forum on Development, the Global Taskforce of local and regional governments (GTF), United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), UN Habitat, the Council of Europe, etc.
Moreover we met with Member States’ permanent representations to exchange on the role of local and regional governments in development policy and in the achievement of the 2030 Agenda, as well as Members of the European Parliament and high-level civil servants of the European Commission such as the former and new Directors-General.
Finally, we worked closely with other Framework Partnership Agreement signatories on advocacy, with the Association Internationale des Maires Francophones (AIMF), the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF), United Cities and Local Goverments (UCLG) and United Cities and Local Governments – Africa (UCLGA)
The next 3 months will also be full of actions: have a look at our next activities
- 9: participation in 2nd OECD Roundtable on Cities and Regions for the Sustainable Development Goals, Paris
- 2-13: UNFCCC COP 25 with the Council of European Municipalities and Regions in Madrid
- 12: Meeting of our working group linking Sustainable Development Goals and decentralised cooperation
- 22-23: A delegation of mayors from the Association of Ukrainian Cities (AUC) will come to France (AFCCRE) in January to discuss the Eastern Partnership and the EU, contribution from France – Ukraine – Poland, also focusing on waste management and sustainable tourism
- 22-23: Participation with the Mayor of Malaga to the 11th plenary session of the Euro-Mediterranean Regional and Local Assembly (ARLEM)
- 28-29: With our Andalusian member, FAMSI, we will organise the 2019 EU-Morocco Forum on Decentralised Cooperation taking place in Seville gathering municipalities and cities from both shores of the Mediterranean
- Week of 3 February: Meetings of our working groups on the Eastern partnership, on the advocacy role of national associations, on Development Education and Awareness Raising and on Local Economic Development
- 8-13: 10th World Urban Forum (WUF9) with a confirmed networking event entitled ‘Culture as a tool for local economic development: what added value of the European and global agendas?’ – a delegation of Swedish, German and Dutch mayors and elected will be there, ready to exchange with partners from all over the World
- 18-19: After a successful coordination seminar on decentralisation reforms with our Ukrainian members last September, our member NALAS will organise a coordination seminar in Georgia with us, CEMR and the National Association of Local Authorities of Georgia, alongside a workshop on gender equality with the Charter of equality between women and men at the heart
- 19-20: our Basque member EUSKADI plans to organise the Decentralised Cooperation Days in Bilbao which will gather European and partner countries’ local governments
- 28: Training for local government associations by our German member, RGRE
- Regional event on SDGs and International cooperation organised by one of our Italian members, the Tuscany Region
Check our full agenda.
(Photo by Curtis MacNewton on Unsplash)