Our shortlisted events for Habitat III
Habitat III is the third United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development. Twenty years after the Habitat II Conference in Istanbul, Habitat III is a major event in considering the issues faced by cities, against a backdrop marked by new urbanisation challenges.
At the end of the Conference, a Declaration will be adopted by the Member States. Although non-binding, it will be decisive for preparing national, regional and local policies. This Declaration is the result of months of intense negotiations. It is both in line with PLATFORMA demands and the Global Task Force (GTF) for Local and Regional Governments’ key recommendations.
The local and regional governments’ constituency, represented through the GTF, has been an active participant throughout the entire process and has crucially influenced its outcome.
- World Mayors Assembly – Second World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments
Where? venue Agora
Who? With elected representatives of local and regional governments from all around the world, including Roland Ries (Mayor of Strasbourg, president of Cités Unies France), Jan van Zanen (Mayor of Utrecht, Netherlands, VNGi), Mercè Conesa (President of the Provincial Government of Barcelona, DIBA), Josep Rull (Minister of Territory and Sustainability of Catalonia), Manuela Carmena (Mayor of Madrid, FEMP), Íñigo de la Serna (Mayor of Santander, CEMR president), Andreas Wolter (Deputy Mayor of Cologne, RGRE) or Parks Tau (councillor of Johannesburg , Chair of SALGA, UCLG president).
What? The third and final session of the 2nd World Assembly of Local and Regional Governments.
- Capacity of local and regional governments to implement the new Urban Agenda – decentralisation, local autonomy and municipal finances
Who? Organised by PLATFORMA & CEMR. Among the speakers are Annemarie Penn-te Stake (Mayor of Maastricht, VNGi), Ilmar Reepalu (Councilor of Malmö, CEMR spokesperson on urban policy), Diana Lopez (UN Habitat, URAIA initiative), Frédéric Vallier (Secretary general of CEMR), Patrizio Fiorilli (Director of PLATFORMA).
What? This session will address Challenges around sustainable local public finances, Fiscal decentralisation, the Implementation of the NUA and SDGs and the contribution of international cooperation to good governance and local finances.
- 17 October, 8.00-9.00, R2: Local governments as promoters of urban transparency in Latin-America, organised by FEMP
- 17 October, 12.30-13.30, R12: Exploring Challenges, Partnerships and Approaches to Reducing Inequalities and Ensuring Inclusive Economic Growth in Cities, organised by CLGF, Cities Alliance
- 17 October, 16.30-18.30, R4: “The Urban Leaders We Need” – Putting people at the centre through co-production, organised by SKL/SALAR
- 18 October, 9.30-10.30 R2: Good Governance for Healthy, Nutritious, and Sustainable Urban Food Systems, organised by the City of Milano, The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition
- 18 October, 14.00-16.00, R4: The Urban Agenda for the European Union and the Urban dimension of EU Policy, organised by the European Commission DG Regio, with the participation of Jan van Zanen (Mayor of Utrecht, Netherlands, VNGi)
- 18 October, 14.00-16.00, R2: International Urban Cooperation: Sustainable Cities, organised by the European Commission DG REGIO, the Inter-American Development Bank
- 18 October, 15.00-18.00: Policy Dialogue – National Urban Policies: Urban Governance, Capacity and Institutional Development, organised by UCLG & London School of Economic, with the participation of Ilmar Reepalu (Councilor of Malmö, CEMR spokesperson on cohesion policies)
- 20 October, 11.00-12.00, R14: The Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa: a practical energy related instrument to foster low carbon resilient and inclusive local development, with the participation of Paolo Ciccarelli (European Commission, DG DEVCO), Eva Baños de Guisasola (Policy Adviser at CEMR), Atwine Moses Kanuniira (Kampala Capital City Authority, Uganda), Khady Dia Sarr (Dakar Municipal Finance Program, Senegal), Patrizio Fiorilli (Director of PLATFORMA)
- Habitat III programme
- Follow on Twitter: #Habitat3 & #Listen2Cities