PLATFORMA Position Paper on the future Neighbourhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument (NDICI)
On the 14th of June, the European Commission’ released its proposal for the “Neighbourhood and the World” heading of the future Multi-annual Financial Framework (MFF). PLATFORMA, the network of European local and regional governments (LRGs), and their associations, active in the field of development cooperation between Europe and partner countries, addresses key recommendations to EU policy-makers for the upcoming negotiations.
In reaction to the European Commission’s proposal, PLATFORMA calls Members of the European Parliament and European Union’s Member States to make adjustments to the regulation and in particular:
- Recognise and support the role of local governments in the localisation of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Provide specific financing modalities to support decentralisation reforms and international partnerships between local governments
- Support local governments of all sizes: deepening the territorial approach
- Recognise and support international partnerships between local governments
- The partnership approach should be reinforced in EU development policy
- A recognition of the role of LRGs in specific topics:
- Buisiness environment
Real the full position paper.