The European Days of Local Solidarity are back!
The 3rd edition of the European Days of Local Solidarity (EDLS) is taking place from 5 to 18 November 2018 all over Europe. It is once again co-organised by PLATFORMA and a group of partners.
The EDLS call European cities and regions to raise their citizens’ awareness on the challenges of global sustainable development and on the need to take action starting from the local level. Get an insight of the EDLS 2018 edition, discover the EDLS key messages and find some information on how to join us!
Some hints of the EDLS 2018 programme
Human Rights, social economy, cross-border cultural exchanges, gender equality in decentralised cooperation… the 2018 programme is gradually growing with initiatives proposing enriching collaborations with local NGOs and partner countries in the Eastern neighbourhood. A focus is put on SDG 17 regarding the importance of partnerships for the implementation of the Agenda 2030!
A number of cities and towns are already organising events, supervised by the Province of Barcelona (DIBA), Generalitat de Catalunya, AICCRE, LALRG, the Extremadura Agency for International Cooperation for Development (AEXCID), Fons Mallorqui, LBSNN, Euskal Fondoa, Nantes Metropole in collaboration with Festisol in France…
Local and regional governments are key actors of global sustainable development. While they are responsible for the implementation of basic public policies affecting citizens’ welfare, their involvement in long-standing decentralised cooperation projects in close collaboration with their peers in partner countries makes them part of the global sustainable development community.
Moreover, local and regional governments promote and support the active engagement of local Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and citizens through formal and informal education programmes, awareness raising initiatives and promotion of the city’s own international projects.
Citizens’ support to sustainable development is key for an effective and long-term action starting from the local scale. The EDLS focus on the contribution cities and regions can make in promoting citizens’ awareness and active commitment in favour of local and global sustainable development.
Find our key messages and concrete actions organised in more than 15 European cities and regions in 2016 and 2017.
The EDLS is a perfect occasion to discuss your city’s or region’s new cooperation projects or sustainable development policy with citizens; to present the results of the city’s international partnerships or to jointly debate on the future local and international commitments with the Agenda 2030 for global sustainable development.
Concretely, an EDLS activity…
- Is (co-)organised by a local or regional government;
- Aims at raising awareness on Global Sustainable Development (GSD) issues;
- Addresses the topic of how European cities and regions contribute to Global Sustainable Development, with particular attention to their engagement in international cooperation and city-to-city partnerships;
- Offers a space for information, learning, exchange, training or joint action;
- Targets citizens, CSOs, local/regional elected or officials;
- Makes use of the official EDLS Campaign toolkit and aligns with the EDLS Charter.
For further information:
- please contact Laia Vinyes Marcé at the PLATFORMA Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- check www.localsolidaritydays.eu (2018 website in preparation)
- Tweet with #localsolidaritydays