Time to discover the PLATFORMAwards’ 12 shortlisted projects!
Members of the jury of the PLATFORMAwards will meet by the end of April to select the three best projects of city-to-city and region-to-region development cooperation. For this second edition, PLATFORMA has received 26 applications, representing a total of 74 local and regional governments from 11 EU Member States and 39 partner countries.
For the second time, PLATFORMA has decided to reward excellence in decentralised cooperation, with a special focus on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Twelve projects have already been shortlisted by the PLATFORMA secretariat and it is now time for the jury to select the best partnerships.
The three duos of finalists will be invited in Brussels for the PLATFORMAwards ceremony (8 June, tbc) and will get a unique opportunity to take part to the European Development Days (EDD) (9-10 June) and meet key players in development cooperation. Finalists will also get a one-year access to the PLATFORMA network and international visibility.
Moreover, the first prize finalsts will be rewarded with the production of a video to promote its cooperation project (video value fixed at €15,000). Discover now the video of the 2018 winning project Roeselare (Belgium)-Dogbo (Benin).
The twelve shortlisted projects (sorted by alphabetical order) are:
[One new link added everyday as off 24/03]
- Akmene District Municipality (Lithuania) – Cities of Mariupol, Avdijvkia and Shostka (Ukraine)
- Bordeaux Metropolitan Area (France) – State of Guanajuato (Mexico)
- Bornem (Belgium) – Nquthu (South Africa)
- Department of Charente Maritime (France) – Urban Municipality of Boffa (Guinea)
- Chatellerault (France) – Kaya (Burkina Faso)
- Province of Barcelona (Spain) – 6 municipalities of the Region of Marrakech-Safi (Morocco)
- Emilia-Romagna Region (Italy) – Pemba Municipality (Mozambique)
- Lille (France) – Oujda (Morocco)
- Loures (Portugal) – Maio (Cabo Verde)
- Milan (Italy) – Quelimane (Mozambique)
- Orléans (France) – Parakou (Benin)
- Veneto Region (Italy) – San Javier, Baures, Puerto Gonzalo Moreno & Puerto Rico (Bolivia)
The jury of the PLATFORMAwards is composed by:
- Ms Monica Silvana Gonzalez, Member of the European Parliament and member of the European Parliament DEVE Committee
- Mr Christopher Kang’ombe, Mayor of Kitwe (Zambia) and president of LCAZ
- Mr Andreas Kiefer, Secretary General of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of Europe, Council of Europe
- Mr Henk Kindt, Alderman of Roeselare (Belgium) in charge of the North-South relations and co-laureate of the 1st edition of the PLATFORMAwards
- Ms Yasmine Ouihrane, European Commission EDD Young Leader 2019, Young European of the Year 2019 by the Schwarzkopf Foundation, expert on Peace & Security at the AU-EU Youth Cooperation Hub
- A member of the European Committee of the Regions
- Mr Frédéric Vallier, CEMR Secretary-General
The PLATFORMAwards ceremony was initially planned to take place at CEMR Congress in Innsbruck (Austria) which was cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.